Sunday, September 13, 2009

Bret Farve Hall Of Fame - Jay-Z


I hate to admit it, but Jay-Z Should have stayed Retired after the Black Album. At this point, his musical relevance is dwindling and he has become a parody of himself. Now that he is Wealthy and successful, the edge that made his first 3 albums great, is deader than Memphis Bleek's Career. And his lyrics are just advertisements for the commercialized product of Jay-Z. Given my recent Rap Hater Experiment, it saddens me to have to add one of the legends of 90's Hip Hop on the retirement list, but enough is enough. I still like Jay, and still consider myself a fan, but I just can't take it anymore.

Jay Z always says that he can't rap about certain things because they are not representative of his life any more, and talks about how grown he is now, but then when the opportunity of a paycheck comes up (American Gangster) he jumped on the Denzel Bandwagon and recorded an album entirely about selling drugs. Although American Gangster was musically superior to every Jay-Z albun since The Original Blueprint (Excluding Hard Knock Life, Life & Times, and Dynasty), I just couldn't get over how contrived and forced the whole thing felt. However, I do plan to give Blueprint 3 a full listen, but from my initial review, it just doesn't sound like a Jay-Z album. and the Guests are completely inappropriate. Drake has absolutely no place on a Jay-Z Album.



As much as he preaches that all young rappers are headed down the wrong musical path with the auto-tune, his album sounds just as mediocre as the youngins he's trying to school. But, as I said...I will give it a full listen, and If I am wrong, I will tuck my tail between my legs and deny ever writing this. So in honor of Jay-Z's induction into the Bret Farve Hall of Fame, I am going to end with the moment that instantly made me a Jay-Z fan, and the Reason why I will Always be a Jay-Z fan...even after he drops next year's half assed album.

No comments: