Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Rap Hater Experiment - Day Sixteen

After my brief hiatus, I am back on the grind. I took a break to enjoy my Cuban Linxs 2 album and got a little hope. That hope was the epiphany that Rap music, for the most part, always comes in Decades...In the 80's everybody was dancing and wearing flashy clothes and having a good time...then in the late 80's sh*t started to get real and in the 90's we had true Gangsta Rap, "Keep it Real" Rap, and Grimey, Hardcore Boom Bap Shi*t...towards the late 90's we went into the Puff/Bling era, and in the 2000's we have this auto tune driven, dance creating, swagga rap bullsh*t. Now that it is the late 2000's we are upon a new era. Not sure what that is, but hopefully the tone set by Cuban Linx 2 is pushing us in the right direction.

In Fact...since we are talking about the new era of rap...I would like to take time to give props to the (few) 2000's rappers that I believe are worth listening to.

Beanie Sigel
The Broad Street Bully was always the best Member of Roc-A-Fella and he dropped 2 classics (The Truth, The Reason.

Sean Price
Originally a Member of 90's Duo, Heltah Skeltah, but his debut Solo album, Monkey Bars, was released in 2005.

LOX/D-Block
The Post Jiggy-era LOX are, in my book, considered a different group from the Watered down Puff version. The 2000's version is much rawer and spit harder rhymes. Jadakiss is a Top 5 MC compared to anybody.

Kanye West
His style and personality are so unbearably gay and over the top, but his rhymes are top-notch and beats are even better.

The Game
If you listen long enough to get past the constant name dropping and references to other celebrities, You will see that The Game is a very talented MC. His flow is a hybrid of Dr. Dre on the Chronic and the Illmatic Nas.

Rick Ross
His drug rap is so ignorant and fake, but dude can put out 3 relatively classic albums in less than 5 years.

Joe Budden
Never liked him and he annoys me, but I can recognize that dude is nice on the mic. I still don't like him.

Joell Ortiz
"Same as Above"

Planet Asia
Although his debut solo album was released in 1999, I still consider him a 2000's Rapper. He is probably the best out of the West Coast. Pain Language was the best rap Album that I had bought all year...Until OB4CL2, of course.


There are a few others Like Ransom, Lupe Fiasco,Lloyd Banks, Torae, Skyzoo, Obie Trice and some other dudes, but I'm not trying to turn this into another internet list. Oops...Too Late.

Today's Rap Hater Pic:



Classic pic of Ice Cube and B-Real and a big ass AK. Of course this was before the Cypress Hill/Ice Cube Beef. Sh*t like this is the reason why people were scared of rappers and even more important, the reason why 90's rap was as Gangsta as Gangsta music could get.

Today's Rap Hater 5:

1. Cypress Hill - Hand on the Pump (Cypress Hill 1991)
2. Kool G Rap - Play it Again Polo (Wanted: Dead or Alive 1990)
3. Main Source - Faking the Funk (Breaking Atoms 1991)
4. Heltah Skeltah - Understand (Nocturnal 1996)
5. Goodie Mob - The Day After (Soul Food 1995)

No comments: