Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Random Album Review


Drake - So Far Gone


I have been hearing a lot of hype about this dude Drake. Not sure where he came from but he is apparently affiliated with Lil Wayne and he's Canadian (???) After 1 listen to the album I can honestly say that I can definitely respect dude for being "Different" and the album is very smooth and teeters between hip hop/R&B and it's a little jazzy. But ummm...he's simply just way way too soft for my taste.

There's a lot of whining, deep breaths and robot voice shit. He also loses points for featuring Omarion and Lloyd...WTF? That is unacceptable behavior and poor judgement for a rap album. I need my rap to be a little tougher than this. I need to be convinced that the dude rapping to me on the track can whip my ass...and if he can't, I at least need to know that one of his homeboys could jab me in the jaw and leave a mark. I have strayed from this rule before but Mr. Drake is just not good enough to get the pass that dude's like Kanye West, Common, Q-Tip, and Lupe Fiasco get.

It's worth a listen though.

No comments: